Friday, December 4, 2009

Blood Donation

30th September 2009- I was studying at INTI University College at Nilai, having my first year of college life. I have experienced a lot of new things there including donating my blood. Before that, I did not even know my blood group.

I was initiated to donate my blood because of bonus mark offered by lecturer. My Malaysian Studies' lecturer, Mr.Raymond Lee promised to give us extra mark for our course work if we could show him the red book ( a small book to record blood donation of someone). At that time, there was a blood donation programme being held in my current college. It was a three-days programme being held by LEO Clubs if I am not mistaken. So, not only me, but the whole class who was attracted by the bonus mark, decided to donate blood.

It was not only for getting the mark, it was about my curiosity to find out how a programme like blood donation looked like. For information, the blood donated will be sent to National Blood Center, and all donaters will be given certificate for their good deeds. Of course there were some conditions to be fulfilled before anyone could donate their bloods. I was happy to be the lucky one to pass the blood test. But unfortunately, some of my friends failed to do so. For women, we must have weight of 45 kg or above to be qualified to donate blood. Of course, your blood must be healthy and is sufficient for you to donate it out. Some of them cannot donate their bloods bacause of low blood pressure. From what I knew, maybe they were lack of sleep the day before. So actually there were some of them said that it was unfair to them because they lose the bonus mark. haha...

It was a painful but worthy experience for me. After having lunch in cafeteria, I followed my friends to donate blood. There were three of us in total. We filled in the form, then we waited for the blood test and so on. Among three of us, I was the second one to do the test. As I told before, I must achieved at least 45 kg to be qualified. I should have no problem with this because I was weighted 50++ kg last time. However, I was still asked to weight my body. The first thought that came in my mind at that moment was "Wow, I have lost my weight!" haha....the needle pointed at 48 kg. And I was qualified too for the next few tests including blood test, blood presure test and BMI test.

Seats provided were fulled in the room. We have to wait for our turns. While I was waiting, one of my friends failed the blood test, so she went back. Five to the minutes later, I was lying on the seat, chating with my classmate who was also donating her blood at that moment. I felt a little pain when the needle stuck in my hand. I was asked by nurse to move my fingers with something in my hand to grap. I asked my friend, they said it was to let the blood flow more quickly into the bag. I donated a pack of 350 ml blood of group O.

I stood up after lying on the seat for a while. I felt everything just alright at first. Then, I walked to my friend who was still donating blood. After a little chat, I felt some headache. I thought it should be ok after some time, so I got some food and drinks, and I walked to the corridor outside the room to let myself sit down and got some rest. But things grew worse. =.= I felt terribly sick. My sight was getting blurred....one lady came forward to me, and she took a cup of milo to me. However, things did not improved.

Luckily, my classmate came. They asked me what had happen to me. But I did not know. I felt numbness in both my hands and legs. I couuld not heard clearly the voice of my friends. I felt weak. My sight getting blurrer....the thing that most scared me was my hand was like shrinking. Oh my goodness! I dont know what had happen to me. I felt hot...no...it was not hot...I felt cool in my hand but I found myself sweating. What happened to me? A group of friends were surrounded me. Some of them asked help from the person responsible. I was then took inside the room again. I remember that I could not walk well, so the guy took me in. haha...I was asked to lay again on the seat, and I was given a drink. Magic...after I lied down, all the sick feelings start to reduce and finally disappeared. I was back to normal again. I was very happy! Thank God! Luckily nothing happened to me...

My classmate were having their class. I knew I was late...haha...but nevermine...I did not see my bag outside, so I guess my friends have took for me. After I took my certificate and a small red book, I rushed to class...my friends took my bag. I show them my certificate. At class, I received by test and quiz paper. I got high marks for both papers. I was happy again. Everything runs smoothly....haha....

It was a great experience. I would like to donate my blood again. ^.^

No comments:

Post a Comment